2014 Year In Review
It has been a long year. I am really looking forward to 2015 and a ton of new possibilities, but I always like to take a minute to look back and appreciate the amazing things I ate, saw, and accomplished over the past year.
- In January I celebrated my 30th birthday and started the year off with a bang by visiting Florence, Italy for a week. I ate my way through the city by indulging in pizza, pasta, and wine at every turn. Some of my favorite spots along the way included Coquinarius, Il Santo Bevitore, Trattoria 4 Leoni, and Cantinetta Antinori. You can read about my trip to Italy here.
- Some of my favorite restaurants that opened in 2014 include Lupo Verde, Compass Rose, and Crane and Turtle. All are great additions to the Washington food scene, and they all seem to be great fits for their respective neighborhoods of Logan Circle/14th Street and Petworth. You can read my review of Lupo Verde here, and of Compass Rose here.
- Given D.C.'s close proximity to New York, I get the opportunity to head up to the city often. This year I tried many new spots as well as classics including The NoMad, Locanda Verde, Lafayette, Toro, El Toro Blanco, and Pearl & Ash. You can read about the amazing tagliatelle with crab at The NoMad here.
- In June I took a trip to Virginia wine country in Middleburg with my friends Tammy and Alejandra. We stayed at The Salamander Resort & Spa, and enjoyed visiting Phillip Carter Winery, Three Fox Vineyards, and Boxwood Winery. We also enjoyed meals at The French Hound and Market Salamander. You can read about my trip to Middleburg here.
- Towards the end of the summer I took a vacation to Paris and the south of France. I spent a few days in Aix en Provence eating croissants, strolling through the cobblestone streets, and enjoying the French countryside. I visited many of the perched villages in the Luberon such as Bonnieux and Roussillon. It was an amazing trip that I will never forget. You can read about my trip to France here.
- A big thank you to DomiCile Magazine for featuring me on the cover of their fall issue. I had the opportunity to dish about all of my favorite neighborhood spots, and how much I love living in Logan Circle.
- There are always many fun and festive food events throughout the year to enjoy. In 2014 I had a wonderful time at the RAMMY Awards celebrating the best of food and drink in town. I also enjoyed the opening party of DBGB with Daniel Boulud, and I had a great time judging the annual Lamb Jam contest.
- Earlier this month I took a trip to Healdsburg, CA and loved exploring wine country. Favorite meals were enjoyed at Scopa, Chalkboard, Bistro Ralph, Barndiva, and The Fremont Diner. I also loved visiting Ridge Vineyards, Arista Winery, Lambert Bridge, and Iron Horse Vineyards. You can read about my trip to Healdsburg here.
- Thanks to Brightest Young Things for this 2014 food round-up featuring many of my favorite D.C. food writers (and me!) You can read about all of the hits and misses of the restaurant scene this year here.
- I bought a condo this year in Logan Circle, and I am so excited for all of the entertaining and dinner parties I can do in my new space. I plan to renovate the kitchen in 2015, so this place will be in tip top shape in the coming year for eating and drinking.
I hope all of you had an enjoyable 2014 filled with good meals, good friends, and good drinks. Cheers to a great 2015.