It's the first day of 2016-- a new year filled with great opportunities. I got busy towards the end of 2015 and my blogging became more scarce than I would have liked. I'll try to do better this year. But before we dive into what 2016 has to offer, I want to reflect on some of my favorite meals and food and wine experiences of the past year.
- This past year I really enjoyed exploring what Virginia wine country has to offer. I took trips to Sunset Hills Vineyards, Greenhill Winery, Breaux Vineyards, The Winery at Bull Run, and Early Mountain Vineyards. It's nice to have so many beautiful wineries just an hour outside of the city. You can read about my experiences with Virginia wine here.
- In April I enjoyed an amazing trip to Paris and Lake Como. In Paris, I loved the cheese and charcuterie at Le Comptoir du Relais and lunch at Les Deux Magots. In Bellagio Lake Como, I fell in love with the spaghetti pomodoro at La Barchetta. You can read more about my trip here.
- A few friends and I enjoyed a long weekend in Portland, Maine this past June. We dined at so many great places including Hugo's, Central Provisions and Piccolo. However, our absolute favorite was Eventide Oyster Co. I am still dreaming about the lobster roll. More about my trip to Portland here.
- While I love to travel, I still think D.C. has some of the best restaurants to offer. Throughout 2015 I continued to rely on my tried and true favorites: Le Diplomate, Posto, Red Hen, Cork, Osteria Morini, Mintwood Place, and others.
- So many new D.C. restaurants joined the scene in 2015. Happy to see Centrolina, Maketto, Garrison, The Dabney, Bad Saint, Convivial, Momofuku, Masseria, and others doing so well and adding great variety to our town.
- Quick weekend trips in the U.S. allowed me to hit up both Chicago and Aspen. In Chicago I had the chance to try out dinner at Fat Rice, dessert at Longman & Eagle, as well as meals at The Purple Pig, Bavette's, and The Publican. In Aspen I enjoyed great eats at Ellina, L'Hostaria, The Wild Fig, and a great lunch at the base of Aspen Mountain at Ajax Tavern.
- It was a particularly lucky year because I was able to sneak back to Paris in September! During this trip I had the best beef bourguignon of my life at Josephine Chez Dumonet, as well as very memorable meals at Ellsworth and Le Bistrot Paul Bert. I also took a croissant making class at La Cuisine Paris that I would recommend to anyone. You can read more about this trip to Paris here.
- I spend a lot of time in San Francisco for work. In September, I had one of the best meals of the year at Liholiho Yacht Club where I enjoyed tuna poke on nori crisps, clams with coconut curry, and a delicious chocolate cake to round out the night. The Hawaiian, Indian, and Chinese fusion is unique, flavorful, and delivered an all-around amazing meal.
- To top off the year I took a week-long trip to Maui with my friend Tammy. We stayed on two parts of the island and had some of the best tuna I have ever experienced. The food in Maui exceeded all expectations, and we particularly enjoyed Mama's Fish House, Merriman's, Star Noodle, and Monkeypod Kitchen. Maui is a beautiful place, and we enjoyed every minute while we were on the island.
- 2015 was the year of a massive kitchen renovation for me. While I love to dine out, I am really looking forward to making some delicious meals in my home this coming year and having the ability to entertain friends and family.
I'm looking forward to diving into 2016. Cheers to a great year!