Asparagus is easily one of my favorite vegetables, especially in the summer time. Normally, I grill asparagus with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Sometimes I spice it up a bit and top it with lemon zest and goat cheese or a fried egg.
I was all set to grill the asparagus last night, like I always do, and I decided to make a shaved asparagus salad instead. This salad is great for a summertime picnic or evening by the grill. It's refreshing, light, healthy, and extremely versatile. I included ingredients that I had in my fridge. You could also add peas, fava beans, proscuitto, pancetta, or fresh corn to add some variety.
The end of Asparagus season is near, so make this salad while you still can. Who knew that raw asparagus was so delicious? Bonus fun fact: Did you know that the plural of asparagus is asparagus?
Shaved Asparagus Salad
- 1 bunch of green asparagus- the thicker the better for easy peeling
- 1/4 red onion (minced finely)
- Juice and zest of half a lemon
- 3 T of olive oil
- Shaved Pecorino cheese to taste (Parmesan would work well too)
- Salt & pepper
1. Peel the asparagus with a sharp vegetable peeler. Hold the tough ends and shave towards the spear. Toss the tough ends of the asparagus.
2. Add the Onion, Lemon, Salt, Pepper, and Olive oil and mix thoroughly. Taste and adjust the amount of oil, lemon, salt and pepper as necessary.
3. Top with Shaved Pecorino Cheese.